Even though the feminist movements of the 1960s and 1970s sprung up largely in the West, the ideology in itself has global manifestations and implications. Over and above, if we want the world to progress towards peace and prosperity, it can’t happen until women get their share. While equality is not a ‘given’ to us, we ask for it, with all our might.
Take a look at some inspiring and empowering quotes and ignite the feminism inside you. Let the flame of equality burn and spread light.
- “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”
- “I only know that people call me a FEMINIST whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
- “It’s a crazy time in the world. Women are the f*cking future. And we’re going to take over the world. That’s really what I think.”
- “Teach her that the idea of ‘gender roles’ is absolute nonsense. Do not ever tell her that she should or should not do something because she is a girl. ‘Because you are a girl’ is never a reason for anything. Ever.”
-Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- “In the public eye, girls and women with strong perspectives are hated. If you’re a girl with an opinion, people just hate you. There are still people who are afraid of successful women, and that’s so lame.”
- “It’s not my responsibility to be beautiful. I’m not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.”
- “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong, it’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.”
- “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.”
- “Why do people say “grow some balls”? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”
- “You deserve to be here. You deserve to exist. You deserve to take up space in this world of men.”
- “My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant to be your own person, be INDEPENDENT.”
-Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- “You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female.'”
- “I’m not here to be perfect and I’m not here to be anything but my best, whatever that means for me.”
- “Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely — and the right to be heard.”
-Hillary Rodham Clinton
Tell us in the comment section, which quote/quotes you found the most enthralling and empowering?
Image credits: The Conversation
Udisha Srivastav is a Freelance Content Writer with Femsay.com