Let science help you make up your mind the next time you decide whether to uncork a bottle. Red wine, made by crushing and fermenting dark-colored grapes, has been studied for several years. There is plenty of evidence that moderate red wine consumption can have beneficial effects. It can stimulate the wellbeing of the heart and even battle certain types of cancer. However, moderate intake of red wine is crucial.
Now you may be wondering how Red wine is beneficial for you?
Well, here is why-
- Boosts Heart Health: The levels of good cholesterol can be boosted by the antioxidants in red wine. This stops the build-up of cholesterol and prevents heart disease. Red wine polyphenols, especially resveratrol, can protect the blood vessel linings in your heart. It has been discovered that resveratrol prevents blood clots. While it needs further research, the possibilities are encouraging. Also, resveratrol in red wine can inhibit the maturation of immature fat cells. A protein called sirtuin 1 can also activate it, which protects the heart from inflammation.
- Helps in combating Diabetes: According to the American Diabetes Association, drinking red wine may reduce the blood sugar for up to 24 hours. But apart from that, there’s some research that found how red wine can help diabetics. As noted in a recent study, moderate red wine consumption may reduce the risk of heart disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. More significantly, according to the report, people who drink wine three to four times a week are 30% less likely to develop diabetes than those who drink less than once a week. The credit may be given to polyphenols in red wine, which can help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Fighting Cancer: According to the study, red wine is capable of destroying pancreatic cancer cells. The antioxidant does this by crippling the work of the cell’s energy supply. In fact, the value of red wine during cancer treatment is so high that doctors would not advise the patient to give up on red wine if they were already taking it (in moderation, obviously). Analysis shows that resveratrol not only kills malignant cells, but also protects normal tissue from the harmful effects of radiation.
- Increase in brain activity and preventing Alzheimer’s: Resveratrol in red wine was found to repair leaky blood-brain difficulty, allowing blood to enter the brain from the body. This remedy slows down the development of cognitive disorders in Alzheimer’s patients. Alzheimer’s patients face additional issues with nervous tissue inflammation, which is mostly caused by the secretion of toxic immune molecules from the body to the brain. Resveratrol shuts down these immune molecules, which would otherwise cause inflammation and kill the neurons. Researchers have also examined compounds left behind after red wine passes through the intestine – called human intestinal metabolites, which prevent brain cells from dying.
- Boosting Immune System: Research has shown that a daily glass of red wine will improve the immune system and help combat diseases, and a glass or two of red wine can also help you conquer these annoying colds. According to the American Journal of Epidemiology, this protection could be better with red wine than with white wine. The study shows that red wine can develop a kind of immunity that can regulate 200 viruses that cause the cold.
Kritika is a freelance content writer with Femsay.com